Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wedding in Tainan!

 
 
 
So a couple weeks ago I was invited to a wedding in Tainan through my language exchange buddy's professor who is also my advisor from Minnesota's cousin. Sorry I know that was a bit complicated, I suppose I could just say a friend of mine invited me. I was so delighted to be invited to a wedding because I had heard during the most recent language exchange about the traditions. 

I was so excited to be invited to a wedding as most of my American-Born Taiwanese friends haven't even been to one. We met up with the Professor who introduced to one of her students taking the HSR (high-speed rail, http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/index.htm) train down to Tainan, which takes only about 2 hours. For going north to south, the 2 hours is not that bad, by bus the trip would be more like 6 excruciating hours. Once we arrived at the station in Tainan we met up once again with the Professor's student. He rode in a different car on the train that was non-reserved. Although the seats are cheaper, you are not guaranteed a seat, it is the same type of system as in Italy. I once rode 8 hours on a slow train to Rome in a luggage compartment, needlesstosay we reserved our seats for this short trip to Tainan. The weather was vastly different from the rainy and dreary Taipei. The sun was blindingly bright and warm on my pale skin. We found our ride to the wedding, a couple friends came to pick us up. Neither Rachelle or I speak enough Chinese to really understand where we were going or even to ask. I guess we were just in for the ride. 

Finally, we had arrived to the hall. 10 people were seated at each of the twenty-some tables. Courses of food were served, each one more elegant that the previous. I was so excited that I knew all the food, well except for sea-cucumber (that one took a little longer to guess). I had been working on food during my language exchanges. A quick glance I exchanged with my friend and language exchange partner told me that I had made some progress. The others at the table were quite impressed with my ability and knowledge about the food we were eating. After the ridiculously delicious lunch, we watched as the bride and groom (I guess newly married husband and wife) strolled around to each table handing out candy and greeting the guests. One of the close family friends or members came around to collect the gifts or rather "shi" money in red envelopes. We had written on the envelop in a golden ink pen and wished them a happy life together. Someone said one typically gives $1500 NTD or $50 USD at a wedding.

Then the next part occurred after most of the guests left (but we were lucky enough to be with people close to the husband and wife to stay). They handed out tea to their elders, parents, aunts and uncles, a tribute of respect to them. After this cordial tribute, it was once again picture time. We were able to get a picture with the newly married wife and husband in a tuxedo and pink formal dress. The actual ceremony for the marriage took place earlier in the day and only a few family members are present, we were at the part of the ceremony that is shared with family and friends in celebration. All in all this wedding lasted about 3.5 hours.

After the ceremony Yi-Ching set us up with two people to show us around Tainan before we headed home. We saw what is seen as the First Confucian Temple/School in all of Taiwan, built in 1665 during the Qing Dynasty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainan_Confucian_Temple). I was amazed at how well preserved the temple and school were. There was a deity for studying, people bring their tests, school materials and grades to the deity to pray for a better grade or score. The second place we visited was a temple across the street. This temple was a Taoist temple and I learned how one actually prays. You pay for what is known as "golden money", which is golden paper that's burned to honor the deities, incense and a food offering. The food is left at the first and primary shrine while one visits the rest of the temple. After praying to the various deities and leaving 3 incense at each of their shrines, all of the "golden money" is burned at once. Two moon-shape pieces of wood are tossed, each time telling the wisher if their wish or thought will become true. If they are opposite three times in a row, the wish will come true, if not then the answer is no. My outcome was that my wish will come true. 

After the temple and school visit we had a brief snack. The snack consisted of a tofu pudding in sugary water and mine had red beans on the side. I found it to be delicious, strange but yummy at the same time. Finally, time to head home and catch the free shuttle (comes every 15 minutes) to the HSR station at the center of town.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Where have I been?