Monday, June 8, 2009

NY Times Article: Malaysia and Taman Negara

I was just in Malaysia and visited some of the places mentioned in this article. I had many of the same thoughts about conservation and the extensive deforestation going on in Malaysia. This was a very interesting article and made me think even more about disappearing animals. The article talks about one animal in particular, the tapir. We were unfortunate (or fortunate) enough to not see this particular animal or any of the other large mammals mentioned. I was afraid of the elephants (we saw many many footprints and droppings), black panthers, and tigers. We also saw many of the research stations that are used to film these animals and the base camp for one of the Russian Universities that is doing research. I am pretty sure the mentioned base camp in the article is the same one we started our two day trek at. Take a look at the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/science/02tapir.html?em

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Where have I been?